DR. JACQUELINE LUIFounder and President
- US Patent Agent
- M.Sc. (1985) and Ph.D. (1987) in Cell Biology from the University of Texas at Dallas
- B.Sc. in Agricultural Science and Bronze Tablet Scholar from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1981)
Dr. Jacqueline Lui (Jackie) founded Eagle IP in 2005 after several years overseeing patent departments at two large multinational firms. Jackie is a US Patent Agent and has practiced in the patent field for over 20 years.
Before starting her patent practice, Jackie gained extensive experience as a scientist, researcher, and lecturer in a wide variety of life science areas, including molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, agricultural biology, oncology, genetics, biosensors and bioelectronics, material science and biochemical engineering.
Jackie is well-recognized as a patent law expert and specializes in cross-jurisdiction patent prosecution and strategy. She has assisted startups, Fortune 500 companies and HK/Nasdaq-listed companies on IP strategies, portfolio management, technology transfer, due diligence, and enforcement for over 20 years.
Over the years Jackie has advised various governments on IP policies and direction. In the 1990’s, Jackie advised the Singapore government on technology and market intelligence within Singapore’s IP framework. After returning to Hong Kong in 2000, Jackie proposed and advocated for an original grant patent system in Hong Kong. Her hard work was instrumental in the new law’s successful implementation in 2019.
She also founded the Hong Kong Institute of Patent Practitioners, and is an IP advisor to numerous professional organizations, such as the Hong Kong Medical & and Healthcare Device Industries Association (HKMHDIA) and HK Bio-Med Innotech Association (HKBMIA).
Jackie is a thought leader in patent law. She regularly lectures and gives patent workshops throughout Hong Kong, such as at Hong Kong Science Park, BIO Hong Kong, and area universities (e.g., PolyU, CityU). Additionally, she has published articles in world renowned journals such as Nature Biotechnology.
From 2015 to 2022, Jackie was recognized as one of the World’s Leading Patent Firms & Individuals by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM). She was also recognized as one of the Top 250 Women in IP by IP Stars 2018/2019, Managing IP, and Patent Star by IP Stars 2022
Jackie is fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese.
Appointments & Membership
- President of The Hong Kong Institute of Patent Practitioners (HIPP)
- Member of the Working Group under the Advisory Committee on Review of the Patent System in Hong Kong, Commerce and Economic Development, the Government of Hong Kong SAR
- Member of the Hong Kong Biotechnology Organization
- Senior Advisor (IP Protection) to HK Bio-Med Innotech Association (HKBMIA) (2018)
- Honorary Advisor to Hong Kong Medial and Healthcare Device Industries Association (HKMHDIA) (2023 – 2024)
香港醫療及保健器材行業協會名譽顧問 (2023 – 2024)
- IP Advisor to Hong Kong Electronics & Technologies Association (HKETA) (2018 – 2023)
香港電子科技商會知識產權顧問 (2018 – 2023)
- Visiting Lecturer for the JD/LLM program, City University (2019, 2020, 2022)
香港城市大學法律博士/法學碩士課程客席講師 (2019, 2020, 2022)
- Visiting Lecturer for the Department of Applied Biology and Chemical Technology, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (2013 – 2016)
香港理工大學應用生物及化學科技學系兼職講師 (2013 – 2016)
- Former Member of the Asian Practice Committee of the Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO) (2014 – 2018)
前任知識產權擁有人協會亞洲業務委員會成員 (2014 – 2018)
- Former Member of the Steering Committee on Innovation and Technology of the Government of Hong Kong SAR
- Former Member of the Health and Medical Development Advisory Committee of the Government of HKSAR (2005 – 2011)
前任香港特別行政區健康與醫療發展諮詢委員會委員 (2005 – 2011)
- Former Member of the Board of Directors of the Applied Science and Technology Research Institute Company Limited (ASTRI) of the Commerce, Industry and Technology Bureau of the Government of HKSAR (2004 – 2010)
前任香港應用科技研究院有限公司之董事局成員 (2004 – 2010)
- Former Member of the Board of Directors of the R&D Center on Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials (2006 – 2010)
前任納米及先進材料研發院有限公司之董事局成員 (2006 – 2010)